Hi, neighbors! It’s me, Jessica Collins, your host of the Austin Daily — here to catch you up on the most important local news.
Grab your morning java while we dive into:
- More than 40 dogs were turned over to the Austin Animal Center after a single eviction.
- Texas official receives more than 14,000 monkeypox vaccine doses.
- Austin is on track to report its hottest summer on record.
- And much more ➡️
First, today’s weather and allergy report:
☀️ High: 103 Low: 77. Mostly sunny and hot.
🍃 Grass Pollen: low. Ragweed: low. Mold: moderate. Dust & Dander: extremely high.
Here are the top stories today in Austin:
1) More than 40 dogs were turned over to a local shelter after a single eviction. The Austin Animal Center has taken in more than 40 dogs after a weekend eviction case. The shelter is currently at 142 percent capacity for dogs (well over their standard capacity) and has had to partner with out-of-state rescue partners to find space for all of the pooches.
With the increase in evictions, local shelters express concerns over available space. Now might be the perfect time for you to rehome and adopt your next furry friend. KXAN has more on this story here.
2) Texas officially receives more than 14,000 monkeypox vaccine doses.reported that it has requested 5,000 of those doses. KVUE reports that this shipment from the federal Strategic National Stockpile is anticipated to be the last such delivery until August or September due to the vaccine’s scarcity. Check out the full story here at KVUE.
3) Austin is on track to report its hottest summer on record. It’s no shocker to those that live here that we’re currently experiencing record-breaking heat. The Austin-American Statesman is officially reporting that Summer 2022 is the city’s hottest summer ever.
The hottest summer in Austin was in 2011 when we experienced a record-breaking drought and The Basrup Complex Fire. The Statesman has more on this story here.
4) Austin City Council to vote on a new ARCH contract this week. The city is set to vote this Thursday on whether to authorize a new contract with a California-based company called Urban Alchemy to take leadership of the Austin Resource Center for the Homeless (ARCH). If approved, Urban Alchemy would be tasked with running the shelter. City staff has proposed a $4.1-million, 13-month contract. KLBJ has more on this story here.
Today in Austin:
- Virtual Low-Impact Workout hosted by Stronger Austin. (7 am)
- Virtual Zumba hosted by Stronger Austin. (6 pm)
- Resound Presents: Matmos w/ Jeff Carey and Michael C Sharp at Parish. (Doors at 7 pm)
- Tuesday’s Army: Boots Electric & Josh Jové w/ DJ Jennie Vee at The Far Out Lounge. (7 pm)
- DJ Future Museums at My Oh My. (8 pm)
Community Chatter 💬 :
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
You’re all caught up for today. I’ll be back in your inbox tomorrow!
— Jessica Collins
About me: Jessica is happy to call Austin her home for the past 10+ years. She loves the outdoors, arts & cinema, dining, and all of the natural beauty that Central Texas has to offer.