Dog dies after day on the lake


A North Carolina woman is warning others after her dog died while they were enjoying a day on the lake. Sarah Pohlig says she took her beagle Ruby to Jordan Lake in Chapel Hill on Saturday to sail. (Watch her full story above) Pohlig said after Ruby spent some time in the water she noticed some changes. “She was listless, lethargic, had some shaking and was making some funny sounds,” Pohlig said. She said she thought the dog was overheated but cool towels didn’t help. Pohlig said Ruby died before they got back to the boat launch. “Her heartbeat got really faint, kind of came back for a little, and then went away and didn’t come back,” Pohlig said. Ruby was one of two dogs health officials say became sick over the weekend after spending time on the lake. The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality said preliminary testing revealed some potentially toxic blue-green algae.The Chatham County Public Health Department posted a message on social media saying water samples were collected. They said field crews did not see any signs of algae in the area. “A rapid-test preliminary analysis of the samples indicate some potential toxin-producing cyanobacteria was present, but not in bloom quantities, and typical for NC lakes during the summer,” the post said. The post said additional tests will be done to determine any concentrations of microcystic are present. To read more about what they found, click here.

A North Carolina woman is warning others after her dog died while they were enjoying a day on the lake.

Sarah Pohlig says she took her beagle Ruby to Jordan Lake in Chapel Hill on Saturday to sail.

(Watch her full story above)

Pohlig said after Ruby spent some time in the water she noticed some changes.

“She was listless, lethargic, had some shaking and was making some funny sounds,” Pohlig said.

She said she thought the dog was overheated but cool towels didn’t help.

Pohlig said Ruby died before they got back to the boat launch.

“Her heartbeat got really faint, kind of came back for a little, and then went away and didn’t come back,” Pohlig said.

Ruby was one of two dogs health officials say became sick over the weekend after spending time on the lake.

The North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality said preliminary testing revealed some potentially toxic blue-green algae.

dog dead after day on lake

The Chatham County Public Health Department posted a message on social media saying water samples were collected. They said field crews did not see any signs of algae in the area.

“A rapid-test preliminary analysis of the samples indicate some potential toxin-producing cyanobacteria was present, but not in bloom quantities, and typical for NC lakes during the summer,” the post said.

The post said additional tests will be done to determine any concentrations of microcystic are present.

To read more about what they found, click here.

.

Leave a Comment